Drugs not only adversely affect the physical condition of a person, but also make him unproductive, affect his personality and the society in general. In order to get rid of the menace of these commonly abused drugs, everyone, including the family of the addicted person, the society, government and most importantly, the concerned person needs to co-ordinate and develop a systematic approach. One of the basic step in initiating the process of drug detox is understanding which drugs are most harmful and why to avoid them.
Below is the list of most commonly abused drugs in the USA, based on the study performed by National Institute on Drug Abuse, USA.
- Marijuana: Marijuana is another name for cannabis based drug, which is made by shredding dry leaves, stem, seeds, flower etc of the plant. Marijuana affects the memory of the person, increases his heart beats, and decays his lungs and the whole body. Marijuana overdose is very harmful for the body, and appropriate rehab program should be initiated to leave it’s grip.
- Spice/K2: Artificial Cannabinoids are even more harmful than natural ones. Spice or K2 are slang names for such artificially produced Cannabinoids, which are falsely marketed and advertised as an safe alternative to marijuana. But overdose and elongated usage of this drug makes the person very ill, as it contains several harmful chemicals and toxic ingredients.
- Amphetamines: Amphetamines are very powerful stimulants, which directly affects the central nervous system. By using Amphetamines, the person gets to feel euphoria and a higher sense of alertness, which slowly becomes a habit and negatively affects the human body including the brain. Once Amphetamines are consumed and abused, its effects are long lasting as the toxic substances remain in the body for longer time.
- Vicodin: Vicodin is a branded narcotic product, which is commonly prescribed by doctors for relieving pain. It is a combination of acetaminophen and hydrocodone which are opioids based drugs and is very effective for relieving pain. But if abused, vicodin can become very addictive and harmful. Sale of this drug without prescription is banned.
- Adderall: Adderall is a central nervous system stimulant, which contains a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. Mainly, this drug is prescribed by doctors to treat narcolepsy and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Overdose and abuse of this strong drug has cause various harmful effects on the human body, including heart attack and death.
- Salvia: Salvia is a perennial herb, which is found in Oaxaca region of Mexico. Used as a relief buster and pain reliever since centuries, Salvia is often recommended in mild prescription for calming down the nerves and to overcome insomnia. However, overdose of this natural herb can cause seizure of lungs, and heart rate may go up.
- Tranquilizers: Tranquilizers are mainly used to tranquil the agitated person or condition and is only recommended in extreme cases; such as treatment of mentally disorder person, pain reliever and in some cases, during de-addiction procedure as well. Long term and overdose of Tranquilizers can result in severe health complications and are recommended only to be used under strict medical supervision.
- Cough Medicine: Common cough medicines contain a drug called Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide, which can directly affects the central nervous system and makes the person feel calm. However, there are several side-effects of using cough medicine for long time as it can severely deteriorate normal body-functions and make the person addictive.
- Ecstasy: Also known as part drug and MDMA, ecstasy is a very powerful neuro-stimulator, as it affects the normal functioning of the brain by altering neurotransmitters and inducing a sense of high energy and alertness. Long term usage of ecstasy can increase heart rate, Blood pressure and can be fatal as well.
- OxyContin: OxyContin is a branded oxycodone based pain reliever which is very effective in providing instant relief from chronic pain. However drug addicts are now using OxyContin for getting stimulated and high, which is very harmful for the human body. As it affects the central nervous system of the person, overuse and abuse of this drug can permanently damage the neurons (inside Brain) and body-functions can severely deteriorate.