It is basically an acute condition where a person becomes chronically dependent on alcohol. It is a long-term disease and is mostly acquired by years of drinking alcohol. It is important to take a note here that just moderate drinking even over the years do not make a person addicted to alcohol. The problem arises when the drinking becomes relatively heavier leading to fatal health and psychological problems. Individuals under influence of alcoholism lose their proper state of mind and become more arrogantly vocal about their thoughts leading to unwanted confrontations and violence both at home & work place. They also become mentally obsessed for alcohol and feel they just can’t do anything without their daily drink dose.
Signs and Effects of Alcoholism
Alcoholics do not know what they are doing, whom they are talking to, and what limitations they should maintain. Sometimes they don’t even know where they are until they wake up from their Trans. Therefore, it is important for the family members to spot initial signs that the individual is under heavy influence of alcohol and convince them to take medical help to get rid of the addiction:
- Bloodshot eyes
- Fumbling and unclear speech
- Stumbling walk
- Verbal abuse
- Increasing physical violence
- Moving away from friends and family and becoming isolated
Consequences of Alcoholism
Alcohol can have both long-term as well as short term effect. It also effects both the body and minds of its addicts.
- Sudden change in behavior
- Intoxication risks leading to accidents, suicides, domestic and child abuse etc.
Long-term effects include:
- Development of cancers
- Lack of concentration
- Lapse in memory
- Extensive damages to liver, heart
- Sexual impotence, etc.
It is very important for alcoholics to be treated at rehab centers where they are provided with treatments like:
- Detoxifying the body from harmful toxins absorbed during in take of drugs
- Constant counseling as to help the addicts with different coping mechanisms through which they keep away from alcohol
- Re-introducing them to their original selves- Bringing back their will power
- Help keep them sober during and especially after their recovery process so that they do not relapse to drinking alcohol or taking drugs again, etc.
New York City; the business hub of the world is also home to some of the world’s best alcohol rehab centers providing top class services and positive results in cleansing the addicts off their drug addiction.
Need to locate a New York Alcohol Rehab? Call us at (866) 531-4569